Jenny Oveson - Teacher
A Little About Jenny
- This is my first year teaching junior kindergarten, and I am very excited for this opportunity. I have taught kindergarten for five years: four years teaching full-day everyday kindergarten in Medicine Hat, and last year I taught a half-day program in Morinville. I have had wonderful experiences teaching this age group! I strongly believe in the importance of early childhood education, and look forward to learning with children each day. Early childhood programs, along with a stimulating home environment, provide valuable learning experiences which create the foundation for future success both in and out of school. I thank you for enrolling your child in our junior kindergarten program and am grateful I have the opportunity to learn alongside your little one!
- My family is very important to me. I married my best friend on a tiny island in Thailand in 2010. We have one very cute cat named Tia. My brother has recently moved to England to teach for one year and my parents reside in Medicine Hat (where we grew up).
- I consider myself a lifelong learner and really enjoy being in school and expanding my knowledge. I completed my Bachelor of Education degree in 2005 and just finished my Master of Education degree, focusing on early childhood, both from the University of Alberta. When I am not in school, I enjoy reading just about anything and am currently attempting to learn Spanish.
- I love to travel! Planning our next backpacking adventure is what gets me through Edmonton's long and cold winters. My favorite destinations are Thailand, Colombia, Vietnam, and Laos. This photo is of my husband and I at The Great Wall of China in 2010.
Jenn Sych - Teaching Assistant
A Little About Jenn
- Hi, my name is Jenn Sych and I am the Junior Kindergarten Educational Assistant for the 2012-2013 school year. This is my first year at the Child Study Centre, and I am thrilled to be a part of the Junior Kindergarten team! I graduated from the University of Alberta in 2010 with my Bachelor of Education, specializing in early childhood education. Since graduating, I have been working at the University as a research assistant for both the Centre for Research on Literacy, and the Centre for Research on Youth Science, Teaching and Learning.
- When I’m not in the classroom, I love to cook, bake, read, and spend time with my family, friends, and puppy.
Diane Shieron - Music Teacher
A Little About Diane
- I'm a Sessional Instructor at the University of Alberta in the Department of Elementary Music Education. I've taught for Edmonton Public Schools as a Music Specialist for many years and also in the Early Childhood Program at Alberta College. I have also given many teacher workshops for Edmonton Public and Edmonton Separate Schools in addition to presenting at Music Workshops across Western and Central Canada.
- I like to read, putter with flowers and pull weeds in my yard, travel to New York City, and shop in places where I travel, I am a baby cuddler volunteer and I walk fast to keep in shape!
Dr. Kathryn Smith - CSC Director
Deb Mallett - CSC Administrative Assistant
A Little About Deb
- I wear two hats at the university – one for each of my half-time positions. One hat is for this administrative assistant for the Child Study Centre. The other hat is as editorial assistant for the Alberta Journal of Educational Research. Both jobs keep me very busy! Before working at the university I worked at a hospital and before that a railway.
- I have lived in six provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec), and have visited three others (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island). Only one more province to go (Newfoundland) and then it’s the territories.
- I’ve completed two three-year extension certificate programs and am currently enrolled in my third – Visual Arts at the University of Alberta Faculty of Extension.
- My 14-year-old cat, Lily, thinks it’s her job to wake me up early in the morning. So I haven’t slept in for 14 years.